The CTO is ultimately responsible for all engineering activities. They are the final owner of all technical debt and play a critical role in managing technology risk.
As CTO, I need to be able to ensure consistent engineering across all our product lines. My role is to ensure that we are able to use technology to accelerate the delivery of business products to the market. I need to be able to review all architecture and design decisions. I want to minimize the level of technical debt held by the organization. I want to be able to scale my team with minimal overhead so that we can continue to meet the needs of the business. I want to ensure that we are building defensible assets, so that we can add value to the business.
Value Add from Continuous Delivery
- Reduced time to market
- Reduced time to recover from failures
- Consistent engineering process across all deliveries
- Standard approach makes it easier to scale teams
- All engineering activity goes through approved governance process
- Technical debt visible and repeatably testable